Welcome to my new and returning visitors!
I am a writer. That is, i have a compulsion to write. It keeps me sane, although sometimes i go overboard and write too much.
I have self-published two books. One, Steel Decks and Glass Ceilings, was published in August 2022 and is available in trade paperback and the eBook version. I published Pocket of Resistance a book of poetry in 2014, which is available as a trade paperback or hard cover. For more information about both books and links to order your copy you may go to the books section or hit the links here. You may also have a signed copy by contacting me via (link to best means to contact me)
My blog posts which have been the mainstay of this website for at least a dozen years, are still here, and i plan for them to continue. I am preparing to write a serialized book here, like Charles Dickens and several others in that era in magazines, entitled Tales of the Sea and Me. This will be a compilation of sea stories and my experiences throughout my Navy career.
The current post will begin on this page below, with a link to “the rest of the story,” as Paul Harvey would say.
Most Recent Post
- A Tale of the Sea and Me (For Sam) – Installment 28A Father’s Understanding This is the second of the series of sea stories out of sequence to honor my father who is 109 years old today, passing to the other side eleven years ago a month shy of 99. It was one of my columns in the series “Notes from the Southwest Corner” in the … Read more
- A Tale of the Sea and Me (For Sam) – Installment 27This is the first of three posts concerning my father and my Navy career. This first one was a Lebanon Democrat column i wrote in 2013. The lessons i learned from CAPT Max Lasell will continue after these. i have chosen to post these now because my father’s 109th birthday is tomorrow. Our positive relationship … Read more
- 109That is the number of the Tennessee State Highway that cuts through Gallatin almost directly south to US 70, more commonly known back in his and my days as the Nashville Pike. 109 has changed and grown enormously since my days back home. i’m not sure if that is good or bad. It’s changed. Change … Read more
- Berra’s LawAnyone who is popular is bound to be disliked.
- Gray and RavensThis was begun Monday, September 25, 2023. i fed the cats while Maureen slept before i walked out to retrieve the newspaper, a tradition since my birth that i fear will end soon. It was gray, a seaport morning. i stood in the middle of our driveway and wondered what folks would think of an … Read more